Dominique's individual coaching FAQ!
Lead Yourself to Lead Others!
I coach because i believe that self-aware leaders are the key to a more ethical, compassionate and connected world.
What is coaching?
Coaching is all about you! It's about creating a partnership through which you are empowered. An objective observer, a coach does not judge or give unsolicited advice! Instead, a coach pushes you to clarify your own thinking so you can grow using your own muscles, tapping into what you know is right for you and not what your environment thinks is right for you. With a coach you will be challenged as you go through a thought-provoking process that provides just the right amount of stretch you need to move forward.
Through coaching, I empower you to make a leap as I help you expand your thinking to find your blind spots and make them visible. My training as an executive leadership coach with the NeuroLeadership Institute consolidated my understanding of how insights are created. By setting goals, strategies and actions, I push you to act differently from the way you normally do as together, we work to get you out of your comfort zone and make the magic happen!
Why do you use brain science?
Because it's AMAZING! And because, it's good to know that it's not you, it's your brain! If we know how the brain works, we can make sure to make it work to our advantage and view ourselves and situations with a little more perspective. While I am by no means a neuroscientist, as I share with you some of the principles that our brains follow, I help your brain perform at its best. I use the research to help you focus and to expand your thinking by activating higher order thinking skills. My understanding of the resources your brain needs to function allows me to direct you to use those resources for the thinking that matters: finding your own solutions to move forward with your goals.
As we create specific strategies and actions for each of your goals, you find yourself become more and more motivated and more and more productive!
Who do you work with?
I work with women leaders who are ready to make a change, be challenged in their thinking and own their value. My clients are outstanding women leaders and entrepreneurs who are willing to take a risk and open new doors for themselves.
What sort of areas do we work on?
As a trained leadership coach, I work mostly on helping others become better leaders, both of themselves and others. I understand that it is impossible to work on one area of your life only as we are much more complex than that. We usually set goals that pertain to different areas of your life (e.g. health, career, relationships) or to different areas of your work (e.g. time-management, creating trust among your employees, building your communication skills). This ensures that you realize how much impact each area of your life / work has on the others.
What are your strengths as a coach?
1. I hold a masters in Leadership and Change and am well-equipped to give you the confidence, guidance and support you need as a leader.
2. I have been through a whole lot of transitions: from moving to different countries to starting my own business or jumping into a relationship and so I have a deep understanding of the process of change. I relate to the emotional process as you leave some of your old default modes behind to operate with new ones. I know how much it takes to make space for the new and I will help you, cheer you on and keep you going!
3. I am extremely organized which is great news for you because it means you can get the most value out of our relationship: I organize, you concentrate on thinking about you and on developing new ways of thinking as you work towards your inspiring goals.
4. I will challenge you! We know that in order to be fully motivated, you need just the right amount of positive stress. I will push you but will not go over the limit of stretch you can handle.
5. I am "firm but fair"! I won't apologize for letting you know that I think you might be unrealistic or that you need to step up if you are to succeed but I will tell you these things with compassion and empathy to help you move forward with a positive frame of mind.
What are the principles of coaching you follow?
I use the Results Coaching System, established by the NeuroLeadership Institute. This system follows 5 principles and I apply them in every session:
We know that if there is a degree of uncertainty in the brain, instead of focusing on the task at hand, it will try to look for reassurance. By having a very clear structure to the coaching engagement (i.e. the period of time we work together) and to each session, we create a safe environment in which you know exactly what is going to happen. As you do not need to think about what might be coming up next, you can focus on making space for thinking, reflecting and gaining insights on how you can move forward.
- Solution focused
Coaching focuses on finding the best possible solutions for your problems. We consider the long-term and establish your vision as we work bring about real change to the areas of your life you identify as in need of movement. Focusing on problems can be extremely draining for the brain but by creating inspiring goals, we create the energy you need to find your solutions to stay in a positive state and open up to new and infinite possibilities!
Complacency will not take us anywhere new and exciting! In order to truly change, we need just the right amount of positive stress and challenge. By asking questions that challenge your thinking, I aim to create just the right amount of stress so you are neither bored nor overwhelmed but have just the right amount of motivation to take on new actions to approach your problems in a different way.
- Self-directed learning:
We know that every single brain on the planet is different which means that each of us thinks in a very different way. Different factors such as our life experiences, genetic heritage, cultural influences shape the way we think. For this reason, advice that others give you rarely works. In my coaching practice, I help you with your thinking so you can come up with your own ideas to ensure that the strategies we work on are right for you. Think of how many people give us advice... and how much of this advice we put into practice! This is mainly because what works for you will probably not work for me! I help you think of ideas that will work for you.
- Positive feedback
We know that the brain needs positive reinforcement to keep motivated, and yet, so many of us are so quick to let go and concentrate on what we didn't do well, what we forgot, what we perceive as a failure... This is where I come in! I will help you recognize and celebrate your achievements! I will keep you motivated by sending the positive feedback your brain needs to realize that you are making amazing leaps towards achieving your goals! When your brain receives positive reinforcement, it sees the action or thought as something worth repeating. The more positive feedback you get, the better attitude you have and the more you can achieve
What are the benefits of coaching for leaders?
The following benefits have been highlighted by some of my clients and a piece of research by Sally Boneywell in the UK which aimed to specifically highlight how coaching supports the development of women leaders.
POSITIVE CHANGE IN RELATION TO OTHERS
- Change in leadership style
- Change in relationship to managers / supervisors
- Change in handling and preventing conflict
- Change in relationship to power
POSITIVE CHANGE IN RELATION TO SELF
- Increase in self-awareness
- Increase in self-confidence
- A stronger sense of identity
- Increase in self-leadership
- A holistic approach to self
What is the commitment needed?
A coaching engagement is a bigger relationship than most people are used to. We work closely together and while you will be challenged and things sometimes get tough as you move through your blockades, the rewards are 150% worth it!
What if I am not sure that coaching is for me?
What did I hear? You are ready to try something new? Hehe! I look forward to guiding through the process and before we commit to each other, we'll talk over what coaching is and is not and decide if we are a good fit for each other.
I'm determined to make a change! What is my next step?
Take a look at the coaching structures below to see which one suits you best and get in touch! I look forward to connecting with you!
Consider the best coaching package for you
12 sessions: get down!
Do you want to observe your own thinking patterns, dig deep and make changes that last?
This package is best for those who are trying to change something deep rooted, look at new ways to do things and bring awareness to their thought patterns. We do in-depth work around values, core beliefs and setting up the foundations to slow down and look at all aspects of your goals. As you move towards achieving your goals, we adjust, discuss, go deep and work on whatever comes up! This could be limiting beliefs, or areas like confidence building.
6 sessions: get real!
Do you have a big project you'd like to get done but don't know where to start? Do you have mid-term goals but can't seem to get organized? Do you want to develop strategies around your leadership?
This package is best for those who are wanting to structure their goal in a way that helps take away from an overwhelming feeling of needing to do everything at once. We do some work around values and aligning your goals to your beliefs and then, whatever needs to be done! The work can be pretty deep but since we have less time, the changes are not always as deep. It takes time to build new neural pathways!
How it all works!
- Our relationship starts with a complimentary 1.5 hour call during which we get to know each other.
- If we decide to work together, we agree on a structure and logistics that work for us both.
- We arrange to meet on the phone and if possible for one or two in person sessions.
- You go through a challenging process of learning and change that brings you to the next level!
What is included in each package?
- The number of sessions for your chosen structure
- Specific actions to be done in between our sessions to take you closer to your goals
- I'm a former teacher... you will get plenty of accountability to ensure you take those actions!
- Two emergency 10-20 minute calls in case you need support urgently or need help to focus and prepare for a challenging situation